Saturday, September 2

No Pain, No Fame

Who woulda thunk it? More court drama this year as Andre Agassi wins the second round of the men's U.S. Open. Having received his third cortisone shot for back pain, the 36-year old fogey fought a 21-year young opponent. Hardly a fan or follower of tennis stars, any gutsy bravado is worth my applause, especially the David and Goliath kind.

Now, will he really retire his racket this year as promised and maybe start coaching like Jimmy Conners, or will he continue to destroy his body and crash in flames next season? I think he's wise enough to retire on the mountain.

Perseverance is one of lifes greatest virtues. St. Paul, writing his last letter before getting his head chopped off, told young pastor Timothy, "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day; and not to me only, but unto all them that love his appearing." 2 Tim. 4:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment