Monday, January 17

Reading Room at Circuit City



There's a new feature at your local Circuit City store --- The Reading Room. Reading hours? From 8:50 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. every morning. Unfortunately, this reading room is outside the front doors.

Sunday morning normally finds me and Barb in church at 8:50, but a Sunday sale preempted my attendance. Trying to rationalize this decision was difficult. I finally posited the position that I'm saving the Lord a lot of money for something I was going to buy anyway. And the fact that I could read my Bible while waiting in line only strengthened my decision.

The imaginary line never materialized. Here was the best deal that I can remember, yet no one joined me. A few cars drove by, but kept going. One girl saw me standing there from a distance, backpacked over and saw that they didn't open for another 40 minutes or so and left. A crazy walked down the street in front of the bus stops yelling profanities at no one, turned the corner and kept conversing with the overcast sky. About a dozen kids in red shirts arrived and scurried to their work posts. An extremely uneventful event.

So I read a bit. The parables in Matthew, specifically. "He who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful." Mt. 13:22. Gulp. I turned to Paul's letter to the church in Colosse. "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on the things on the earth." Col. 3:1,2. Wow! Lord, what are my motives here?

The purchase over, I headed back to join Barb in our Bible Study class after church. We were in Job chapter 3 where Job laments and curses the day of his birth after God allowed his family and possessions to perish and his body to be racked with painful boils. If my next log relates some catastrophe, now you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment