Tuesday, January 4

Squirming In K-Mart

---
Thankfully, I didn't laugh out loud when I saw her. But I did smile.

Barb asked me to pick up some garbage bags for her after work, which I traditionally forgot while shopping for film and batteries at Target (lower prices than K-Mart, by the way). So on the way home, the big K became a convenience store as I breezed through the aisles and found a 20 bag box.

This store is the proverbial, large city, poor man's department store. I think the people who shop here can't afford the gas to get to WalMart, which is on the other side of town. They wander in, dazed from dealing with the real world, only too ready to get their fix of cheap stuff, while putting up with the 'help.' I didn't see any smiles, except for a fellow who said 'excuse me' when his cart zipped in front of me. Oh, yes, there was one woman who faintly returned my friendly grin in the men's department. Must be a type of post-partum blues, an after Christmas/New Years sickness.

Anyway, back to my story. While I was at the checkout, this young woman walked up to the return desk. This was no ordinary K-Mart shopper. She looked like someone from the Bay Area, short dark hair, dark eyes, beautiful and WELL DRESSED in an expensive sweater and velvet-type pants. She looked a bit fearful with her eyes glancing left and right without moving her head. She looked like she was in a hurry and didn't want anyone else to see her or know she was there. But I'm guessing, of course. And my guess is that she had never been in this store before. In fact, I don't think she ever shopped anywhere but Macy's, Dillard's or Gottschalk's. Poor thing. Hope she didn't get bombed by seagulls or robbed or beat up when she left.

We more or less headed for the parking lot at the same time. But I didn't want the surveillance cameras to think I was stalking her, so I went my merry way without seeing whether she got into a BMW or Mercedes. I wonder if she saw me getting into my old Chevy pickup with a big smile on my face. Yeah, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment